Monday, January 2, 2017

"There's No Use Crying About It"



The castle is in sight -
Weathered and dark but no less a sanctuary.
Bold and strong I take to the path
Old fear trailing behind me like a cape to be untied and cast aside.
I drop it on the forest floor aware that it will slink behind me,
Let it, I think as I forge ahead.
For a while I elude it as I focus on the spires,
Then I trip.
No matter, I'm still moving forward.
But delighting in my misstep the cape glides faster, gaining speed,
Winding around my ankles like a snake it takes me down.
My heart races
"I'll crawl if I have to" I whisper, through deliberate concentrated breaths,
Though I hear it laughing as it looms over me  - 
It's covered my face like a veil before I can rip it away.
Gasping for the cool fresh air near the ground I take it down with me.
Angrily I ball it up and hurl it off the path.
I sit on the ground watching hot tears fall on the gravel -
I'm tired
The path is too long 
I'm tired 
The cape a relentless albatross 
I'm tired
I can lie here and not have to fight anymore 
So. tired.
A voice flying through the night air calls "Momma!"
The princess waiting at the castle.
I pick up my head to look at it,
Beaten and battered and standing tall,
Dark but no less a sanctuary.
Ignoring the tears I stand,
Let them fall,
They bounce off a metal object glowing in moonlight -
Tarnished and dented but no less a crown.
I place it on my head.
Brushing off dirt and gravel I take a step,
Then another
Straight towards the castle.
Weathered and beaten it beckons me.
I'll reach it scarred and battle weary,
Cape at my feet,
But no less a queen.


- Christa Rowan
(With a nod to Halsey)

No comments:

Post a Comment